Thursday, January 3, 2008

I'm back, with my favourite ad slogan o' the year (but not really...)

Use your period for good. And, so you don't have to go back and read that again, I'll retype it: use your period for good.

USE YOUR PERIOD FOR GOOD. What the? I'm sorry, have I been using my period for evil all these years?

With all due respect to my Proctor and Gamble-employed friends, this is one of the dumbest slogans I've ever heard. It's in the new Always and Tampax ads. You know, the ones that feature the poor South African girl who can't go to school because she has her period. While I feel for the girls who live through this unfortunate situation, and while I can appreciate the attempt to share the plight of these girls, the effort by P&G is downright offensive. Not to mention lame. Who would ever say "use your period for good?" Good God.

I know they're not always fun (no pun intended) but aren't periods and the subsequent ability to create life good things? Isn't giving birth a good thing? Because if they're not, the I mightn't bother with them anymore.

And, um, folks at P&G, just so you know, these women have had to endure missing school and much worse, and they've had to endure it for generation after generation. I'm glad you're finally interested. Oh, and incidentally, the problem goes well beyond having a period and no product. Perhaps when you have a product affected by female circumcision, you'll take notice of that issue too.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to plan a way to use my period for good. I wonder if it will be better if I wear a cape?

"Look Daddy! Teacher says, "every time P&G thinks, a pad gets its wings!"" - Zuzu

1 comment:

Karmic-Angel said...

Hee hee... I know, I remember watching that commercial and thinking 'WTF?!' - I thought it was a statement about how girls don't get to go to school and boys do .. or something like that.. they have GOT to stop trying to make having your period 'cool.' It's not cool. You are right that it is necessary in order to you know, continue the species, but cool it is not. And if we're confused by the way, can you imagine the reaction of the average male? Oy vay.